Provision of Production Inputs:Cattle Sourcing

June 12th, 2020

Lhuentse Livestock Sector could not conduct the farmers’ capacity development activities and other related activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the challenges faced, the sector has been working vigorously to intensify livestock production, especially through dairy development.

The sector in consultation with OPM has re-appropriated and diverted the under-utilized CARLEP-IFAD fund to procure improved cattle breed and supply to dairy farmers on cost-sharing modality.

Lhuentse livestock sector is currently sourcing a total of 23 milking cows and 5 calves for 14 HHs (8 female and 6 male) of Minjey, Menbi, Gangzur, and Maedtsho gewog from Paro, Pemagatshel, Mongar, and Trashigang.

Cattle sourcing is supported by CARLEP-IFAD based on a 70:30 cost-sharing modality where the project provides a 30% subsidy towards the purchase of cow while the remaining 70% by the beneficiary. In addition, the cost of transportation of cattle from source till the destination is also borne by the project.

Information update from Phurpa Tshering, Lhuentse, ADLO

Reported by: Chhimi Lhamo, GKMO

Print Friendly, PDF & Email